On a damp Saturday morning in January, we gathered at the farm for a working weekend! Having previously arranged a series of tasks to be undertaken people set to work and got cracking!
Preparing for the polytunnel:
We are hoping to install the first polytunnel in the growing area soon. In order to get ready for this we need to remove an existing tree stump, fill in some depressions in the ground and try to ensure that the area has a relatively consistent slope, to take the tunnel. Annie worked wonders on excavating the tree stump, and having done the hard work it just needed a gentle pull by the tractor to remove it! Once free, top soil was used to infill the hole. Over the next couple of days Sheena and Sheila returned to check levels and mark out the area for the tunnel, to ensure that it was ready to be ordered.
Shed clearance and maintenance:
The range of open sided barns/sheds along the East side of the court yard have seen little attention from us so far. Following recent winter gales, the doors accessing this area from the field were hanging awkwardly on one hinge and needed securing. So, we decided to take the doors off and store them for future use, whilst creating a new temporary screen and door that was more functional. Using the existing timber frame we carefully created a stud partition and OSB screen. Having started this job on the wet Saturday, the Sunday sun was a welcome guest. As the light faded on Sunday afternoon, we managed to fabricate the door and fix it in position. In order to make the door accessible, Sheena and Greg cleared the access way of brambles, whilst Sheila and the kids mucked-out the sheds inside. It was a team effort to get the project complete in a weekend, with everyone chipping in to help with the measuring, sawing, heavy lifting and fixing! Hopefully the new door will mean access different parts of the site is easier in future.