We are a group of people working within a historical site to establish individual homes and shared spaces for people sympathetic to our ideals of mutual support and respect – for each other, our buildings, and the environment.
Aims and Objectives
- to provide a range of homes, for families or individuals, that are suitable and comfortable for people at any stage in their life.
- to facilitate mutual support and co-operation through shared activities, consensual decision making, and thoughtful design.
- to be sensitive to our environmental impact, putting our emphasis on sustainability and self sufficiency.
- to develop useful and rewarding links with the wider community.
Expansion of these:-
- careful development of significant range of buildings
- homes for purchase or possibly rent
- disabled access wherever possible, single floor living in some units
- safe environment for children
- regular meetings for discussion, decision making, and sharing ideas.
- regular communal meals and participation in activities beneficial to the project e.g. building/site maintenance, caring for communal areas, gardening, managing livestock
- provision of communal space and communal facilities. e.g. laundry, drying room, food store, outside toilet and wash facility, large meeting/music/dance/feast space, guest accommodation, storage, power plant, gardens for recreation and food production
- appreciation of the contributions made by each individual, from the very old to the very young, to the well-being of the group and in turn caring for each member in their times of need
- respectful sharing of equipment, tools, machinery, resources
- working towards Low-Impact Sustainable Settlement status in areas such as energy production and use, waste disposal, use of vehicles
- working with the buildings in our custodianship to ensure their preservation and emphasise their contribution to our project
- hosting occasions to which friends/locals invited
- supporting flexible working/working from home by design provision of helpful spaces